Science and Faith in Islam
Nature is a Sign from the heavens. It offers an inexhaustible reservoir of knowledge that reinforces faith. Man is a part of nature, immersed in the same ocean, connected to it by Divine Grace. This interconnectivity between man and nature offers humankind unlimited vistas to perceive Divine Signs in nature, and discharge the heavenly mandate to know and serve God.
It is a tragedy that modern man has dissociated himself from nature. He has accepted the compartmentalized assumptions of science that the body and soul are separate and distinct. He relegates the soul to “the other world”, while assuming that the body belongs to “this world”. In such a soulless world, he cannot find joy and happiness, justice and injustice, feeling and companionship. What he does feel is der angst. He is lonely, lost.
The function of science is to find the truth. In this grand enterprise, the mind, the body, the soul and the spirit work together. Man is both spirit and body. It is not the body that contains the spirit. It is the spirit that surrounds the body many times over. The secular cannot comprehend the spiritual. It is the spiritual, supported and confirmed by the empirical and the rational that leads to the truth.
Secular science has paraded itself claiming not only that it discovers the truth but that it has a monopoly on that truth. Modern man accepts the judgment of science as gospel. Alas! In the bifurcated and fossilized world-view of secular science, there is no feeling, no emotion and no love, only atoms and protons and chemical changes.
In this Series on Science and Faith we examine the various methods of acquiring knowledge, their characteristics and their limitations. The approach is universal and spiritual. The Qur’an is used as a source material, and the perspective is Islamic. This is a grand attempt, to integrate science, history and faith and offer humankind the possibility of an integrated world-view in which science and faith are partners, not antagonists.
Here is a list of the cf the chapters that have been populated so far
- The Tree of Knowledge
- The Shariah includes Science and History
- Science As The Servant of Faith
- The Soul – Mirror of the Invisible World
- Does Science tell the Truth?
- Is there a Spiritual Perspective on Science?
- How do Humans Learn?
- A Spiritual Perspective on Knowledge
- The Miracle of Ice from the Heavens
- The Beneficial Effects of Lightning
- Music Therapy
- Tasawwuf (Sufism) and Quantum Physics
- Theory of Evolution- Fact or Fiction?
- The Honeybee
- Medicine and Medical Education in Islamic History
- Why Did the Scientific Revolution Not Take Place in the Muslim World?
- Muslim contributions to the NASA Hubble Space Telescope
- Faith and Reason: The Junction of the Two Seas
- Scientific and Spiritual Attributes of the Heart – Some New Research
- Tasawwuf (Sufism)- Secret of Secrets