Surah 62. Suratul Jumua’ (The Friday Prayers)
Bismillah ir Rahman ir Raheem
In the Name of Allah, the Compassionate, the Merciful
- Whatever is in the heavens,
And whatever is in the earth,
Glorifies Allah, the Sovereign, the Holy, the Mighty, the Wise.
- He it is who sent a Messenger to the unlettered
From among themselves,
Reciting to them His Signs,
And purifying them,
And teaching them the Book and the Wisdom.
Verily, they were in manifest error before it.
- And (He sent the Messenger) to others (other nations) besides them,
Who have not yet joined them (in brotherhood);
And He is the Mighty, the Wise.
- That is the bounty of Allah;
He grants it as He will;
And Allah is the Owner of the greatest bounties.
- The parable of those to whom the Torah was given—
Then did not carry it—
Is like the donkey loaded up with books.
Wretched is the likeness of a people
Who give the lie to the Signs of Allah.
Lo! Allah does not guide a people who transgress!
- Say: “O those who profess Judaism!
If you are arrogant that you are the friends of Allah
To the exclusion of the rest of humankind,
Then long for death
(Subsume your Self so that you become alive to the presence of Allah),
If you are truthful.”
- But they will not long for it ever,
Because of what their hands have sent before them;
And Allah knows well the transgressors.
- Indeed, the death that you are running from,
Assuredly it will meet up with you,
Then you will be returned to the Knower of the unperceived and the perceived,
And you will be informed of what you used to do.
- O you who have certainty of faith!
When the call is made for the Friday prayers,
Then, hasten towards the remembrance of Allah,
And leave behind commercial activities;
That is better for you, if you but know.
- Then, when the prayers are complete,
Spread out in the land,
And reach out for the bounties of Allah;
And remember Allah limitless times,
So that you attain felicity.
- But when they see commerce (for gain),
They run towards it,
And leave you behind standing.
Say: “What is from Allah
Is better than entertainment or trade,
And Allah is the best of Providers.”