Surah 70. Surah al Mu’arij (The Ladders of Ascent)
Bismillah ir Rahman ir Raheem
In the Name of Allah, the Compassionate, the Merciful
- One disposed to ask, asked about the Doom that shall happen,
- Upon the disbelievers, which none can prevent,
- From Allah, Lord of the ladders of ascent.
- The Angels and the Spirit ascend to Him in a moment,
Whose measure is fifty thousand years.
- Be patient, therefore, a most becoming patience!
- Indeed, they see it as being far away,
- And We see it as near.
- The Day when the heavens shall be like molten brass,
- And the mountains shall be like flakes of colored wool,
- And no friend shall inquire about a friend.
- They shall see: The culpable shall wish
To ransom his children for the punishment of the Day,
- And his spouse and his brother,
- And his kin who give him space (protect him),
- And whatever is on the earth, all of it,
To liberate him.
- No! It is the blazing Fire!
- Scorching (stripping) his head skin,
- It calls those who turned their backs and turned away;
- And amassed (wealth) and hoarded it.
- Indeed, the human was created impatient;
- When a difficulty reaches him, he is distraught,
- But when goodness reaches him, he becomes miserly—
- Except the devotees who pray,
- The ones who persevere in their prayers;
- And those (who acknowledge) a determined right in their wealth,
- For the mendicant and the deprived;
- And those who accept as true the Judgment Day;
- And those who are fearful of the punishment of their Rabb.
- Indeed, the punishment of their Rabb is not something to be unafraid of;
- And those who guard their chastity,
- Except with their spouses and those their right hands possess,
In which case, they are free from blame.
- Then, whoever does otherwise,
Exceeds the limits.
- And those who fulfill their trusts and their contracts;
- And those who are firm in their witness;
- And those who safeguard their prayers;
- They will be in the Gardens, honored.
- So, what is it with the disbelievers
That they charge in your direction, confused,
- From the right and from the left, group after group?
- Does every one of them believe
That he will enter the Garden of Bliss?
- No! We have indeed created them from what they are familiar with (earth and water).
- So I take an oath by the Rabb of the Easts and the Wests
That We indeed have the power,
- To replace them with others better than they,
And We are not to be frustrated.
- So leave them— they gossip and they play around,
Until they meet up with the Day they are promised,
- The Day they shall come forth from their graves hurriedly
As if they are darting towards a target,
- Their eyes humbled, dishonor surrounding them—
That is the Day they have been promised!