Surah 68. Suratul Qalam
Bismillah ir Rahman ir Raheem
In the Name of Allah, the Compassionate, the Merciful
By the Pen and what they write.
- You are not, by the Grace of your Rabb, mad.
- And indeed, of a certainty, there is for you an endless reward.
- And verily, you are of supreme character!
- So, you shall soon see, and they shall see,
- Which one of you is mad.
- Indeed, your Rabb is He
Who knows who it is that has wandered off His path,
And He knows the rightly guided.
- So, do not follow those who deny the Truth.
- They would love to see you compromise (with them),
So that they may compromise (with you).
- And follow not every worthless swearer,
- Slanderer vagabond, carrying tales,
- Thwarting the good, extreme in evil deeds,
- Stone hearted, and besides that, unscrupulous,
- (Just) because he has wealth and children.
- When Our Signs are recited to him, he says:
“(These are) tales of the ancients!”
- Soon We shall smite him on his nose.
- Indeed, We have tested you as We tested the companions of the Garden,
When they swore that they would assuredly reap the fruits in the morning.
- But they did not make an allowance (for the will of Allah).
- So there descended on them what was to descend, from their Rabb,
While they were asleep.
- And by the morning, it (the orchard) was like a sand dune.
- And they called each other by the morning:
- “Go to your fields early in the morning, if you are to reap the harvest.”
- So they went and they whispered to each other:
- “This day no poor person shall come upon you (while you are) in them.”
- And they marched forth early in the morning, (feeling) powerful in their stinginess.
- But then, when they saw it, they said:
“We are indeed lost!
- Nay! We are destitute!”
- One of the right minded ones among them said:
“Did I not tell you: ‘Why do you not glorify (Allah)?’”
- They said: “Glorified be our Rabb!
We were indeed transgressors!”
- Then they turned to one another, blaming.
- They said: “Woe is to us!
We were indeed rebellious!
- There is hope that our Rabb
Will turn this into goodness for us;
We do indeed turn to our Rabb.”
- That is how (Divine) punishment is!
But the punishment of the hereafter is greater,
If only they knew!
- Indeed, for those conscious of Allah,
There are Gardens of bliss from their Rabb.
- Should We make those who surrender (to Allah)
Like those who are culpable?
- What is it with you? How do you decide?
- Is there a Book with you that you read?
- Indeed, (is there) in it for you whatever you like?
- Or, do you have a contract with Us valid until the Judgment Day
That you shall have whatever you decide?
- Ask them who would be the responsible one for that?
- Or their associates?
Then, let them bring their associates, if they are truthful.
- The Day when the veil shall be lifted from the shin bone,
And they shall be called to prostrate,
They shall not be able (to prostrate).
- There shall be fear in their eyes,
Dishonor hovering over them.
And verily they were called to prostrate
While they were still sound (healthy and well).
- So leave it to Me;
And whoever gives the lie to this admonition,
We shall soon drag him in such slow measures that he does not perceive it.
- And I give them respite;
Verily, My plan is firm!
- Is it that you ask from them a recompense
That they are burdened with debt?
- Or is there hidden knowledge with them that they document?
- So be patient with the Command of your Rabb,
And do not be like the companion of the fish (Jonah),
When he cried out, and he was filled with grief.
- Verily, if he was not supported by the Grace of his Rabb,
He would be thrown onto the open shore,
And he would be humiliated.
- But his Rabb chose him,
And made him among the righteous.
- And verily, the disbelievers
Nearly make you lose your focus with their stares
When they hear the Reminder,
And they say: “Assuredly, he is mad.”
- Lo! This is but a Reminder for all the worlds.