Surah 89. Surah al Fajr (The Day Break)
Bismillah ir Rahman ir Raheem
In the Name of Allah, the Compassionate, the Merciful
- By the dawn,
- By the nights, ten,
- By the odd and the even,
- By the night as it fades away,
- Is there in that an adjuration for one endowed with reason?
- Did you not see how your Rabb dealt with the people of A’ad?
- (And the city of) Iram, with its lofty structures,
- The likes of which have not been created in (other) cities?
- And the Thamud, who carved out rocks in the valley;
- And the Pharaoh, master of stakes-
- The one who oppressed the (people in the) land,
- And fostered much corruption in it?
- Therefore, your Rabb lashed out at him with (severe) punishment;
- Indeed, your Rabb is on the lookout!
- So when the human is tested with honor and bounties,
He says: “My Rabb has honored me!”
- But when We test him with measured sustenance,
He says: “My Rabb has dishonored me!”
- No! But you do not honor the orphan,
- And you are not disposed to feeding the indigent,
- And you eat up inheritance (of others), eating it all,
- And you love wealth, with excessive love.
- No! When the earth is pulverized, atom by atom,
- And your Rabb appears, and the Angels, row after row,
- And that Day Hell is brought forward,
Then, that Day shall humankind remember,
But of what benefit will his remembrance be?
- He will say: “Woe is me!
(I wish) I had sent (good deeds) ahead of me for my afterlife!”
- For that Day none shall punish as He punishes,
- And none shall restrain as He restrains.
- (It will be said to souls at peace):
O soul at peace!
- Return to your Rabb, pleased,
And He pleased with you!
- And join up with My servants,
- And enter My Garden!